Invite Kathy Clark to Your School
Kathy visits schools to speak to students in grades 4-6. Her 45-minute presentations per class are interactive and can cover any or all of the topics below. Please contact Kathy to book a visit.
A Whisper in My Heart
Difficulties experienced by immigrant children:
- Why do people choose to come to Canada?
- What are the difficulties they face? - focus on less obvious challenges such as learning new customs; shopping habits, the strange taste of even familiar foods, etc.
- How can we help them overcome these difficulties?
- Why would someone who looks different be bullied?
- What can you do if you see someone bullied?
- Why would you hesitate to do something?
The true story behind A Whisper in My Heart:
- Brief description of the different life styles between Hungary and Canada in 1963 when the story takes place
- How much of the story actually happened?
Guardian Angel House
- Each presentation lasts 40-60 minutes depending on the time availability and student questions.
- Includes 45 power point slides.
- Accommodates all age groups from nine years old to adults.
Historical, Geographical Background:
- How the book came to be written.
- A brief overview of WWII, the Holocaust and Hungary's role in it.
- Some geographic details about the city of Budapest, where the story takes place.
Guardian Angel House:
- Highlights of what happened in Budapest and in particular at the convent of the Sisters of Charity, nicknamed Guardian Angel House.
- Focus on the heroism of the nuns and how together with the girls in their care they struggled to survive.
- Reading of a brief excerpt from the book.
- Questions & answers.
Read A Review Of Kathy's Presentation Here
The Art of Writing
This can include:
- What are your biggest challenges in writing?
- Editing is more than correcting spelling and grammar.
- How to help your reader experience what your character is experiencing.
- When is description beneficial.
- From conception to the bookstore shelf.